I've been back blogging now for a couple of weeks and wanted to help you all get to know maQ and I a little better. I love blogs that help me immerse in their world with photos and videos, but I always like to know more about the person behind all the imagery.
So, I've compiled a list of random facts about myself, including my doggy, maQ. We hope you enjoy reading about us!
Have a great start to your week!
Love + xx's,
maQ + suz
1. My middle name is Sunny. Yes, my first, middle and last name all start with the letter S.
2. I’m half-Korean and half-Polish. So, I’m Eurasian :)
3. Music, like words, is the air I breathe. Music has helped me on so many different levels. My choice in music ranges all the way from Classical to Rap. I love everything (yes, gospel, teen pop, country, original soundtracks) except for heavy metal and jazz. I know Jazz is like a God to many of you, but with me, I'm sorry. #icant
4. Most of you know I have a German Shepherd named maQ, but what most you may not know is his formal name is McQueen. He was named after Steve McQueen for his handsome looks, his style, and of course, his charm. I even share the same birthday as Steve, March 24th!
5. I smoked cigarettes for nearly ten years, but am proud to say I haven’t had one in over 3 years.
6. My first love was David Duchovny. When I was 15, I literally cried when I discovered he married Tea Leoni. I can’t believe I’m telling you all this!
7. I would love to say I’ve inherited my mother’s green thumb, but for the most part, I can’t keep a plant around to save my life! What’s interesting though, in the past few months, I’ve managed to keep (most) alive and some have even grown. I know it’s sounds cheesy, but I feel like I’ve grown with those plants.
8. If I was on a deserted island with only one choice of food to survive off of, it would, hands down, without question, be mashed potatoes.
9. I’m not fashion-obsessed, but I am into style. I would have say, like many women, one of my staple style icons is definitely Kate Moss.
10. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve really been into video games. I love GTA, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, and arcade classics like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and of course I can’t leave out Zelda, Mario, Tetris and Double Dragon yo! If you know Double Dragon, let’s be friends. Extra points if you know the brothers' names right off the bat. I also love Words with Friends on the phone. WARNING: I'm HIGHLY competitive.
11. I’m a writer, and earlier this year debuted my first crime thriller novel to the world. It’s about a manic-depressive, rough-around-the-edges, female Asian detective who’s hunting for a serial killer in New York that’s targeting other Asian women like herself. Let’s just say the ending left a few people in tears and completely in shock. Check it out on Amazon or Barnes & Noble, The Fisherman’s Lily.
12. My favorite authors, in no particular order, are Stephen King, Jeffrey Deaver, Agatha Christie, Tana French, James Ellroy, Haruki Murakami, Thomas Harris, Kyung-sook Shin and John Steinbeck.
13. I’m a die-hard Lakers fan. Take me to a basketball game and I’m one happy gal!
14. Frida Kahlo, Michelle Kwan and my mother, or rather what I called her my whole life, 'my ma', are my super women. I worship and adore each of these extraordinary ladies for several reasons. They've left me inspired and empowered, giving me courage and strength through many hardships in life. They've all kept my boat afloat. And forevermore grateful.
15. I’m a huge foodie and really love to eat and more especially, cook. However, there are two items I really detest and cannot be bothered with. One: coconut flakes. Bleh! There’s something about the texture I can’t get past. I love the flavor of coconut, but no Almond Joy’s or German chocolate cake for me. Two: anything orange flavored. No candy or liquor could change my mind. I love the fruit and orange juice though, but when trying to concoct it with something else, my taste buds go, "yuck!"
16. My favorite restaurant in New York is Indochine. French-Vietnamese cuisine. And the entire waitstaff are drop dead gorgeous. Need I say more? A recent close runner-up: Estela. I’m still dreaming about those ricotta dumplings.
17. I’ve been with a French man for nearly a decade and still can’t speak fluent French! Don’t get me wrong, I know more than I like to admit. I can completely follow conversations and read fairly well, but when it comes to verbal communication I get stage fright. I don't think learning Spanish first helped any either. I tend to roll those R's and L's when I'm not supposed to!
18. I live for peach pie. Speaking of which, I should make a couple more soon before the season comes to an end! New food blog post coming up? Hint hint!
19. Horses are my nemesis. We do not agree. Every time I’ve ever gotten on one, they’ve either taken off or bucked me off. It’s my nerves. They can feel the fear. I find them to be such beautiful, remarkable creatures, but once I get on them I am immediately aware of their strength and power and don’t feel in control. That’s when the fun starts to happen! Giddy up, Suz!
20. One of my favorite things to do is people-watch. Call it trolling, stalking or just plain ole' observing, what can I say, it's the writer in me. I think everyone's got a story to tell. All I want to do is listen, watch and see.
21. maQ's favorite toys are his plush stuffed animals. We've created the identification game, where he can literally go and ID each and every one of them by certain, specified names. (e.g.; "Where's your monkey? Go get me your crocodile. Can I have your octopus? What about sharky?") Yes, my GSD is hella smart. Who wants to see a vlog about this? :)
22. I have the craziest numeric memory. I still remember my childhood friends' home phone numbers by heart! I can even recall my father's old business numbers too. Give me any number and I'll be able to remember it. It's freaky.
23. I'm an active person. I love to do anything outdoors with my pooch. We love to go running and rollerblading, even if it's just running errands, if I can take maQ with me you won't be surprised to see him with me.
24. Some of my ultimate favorite TV shows are LOST, True Detective (first season), The Leftovers, The Killing, Broadchurch, Damages, Homeland, Game of Thrones, and Californication.
25. If I could be anywhere in the world right now, it'd be a toss up between Santorini and Jeju Island. Definite bucket listings.