I live for words. But sometimes, being a writer, it's hard to find the right ones. In the exact correct place. In a particular moment. Sometimes, it's other mediums, like music, photography, and other art forms that help express those inner primal emotions.
When the words don't come, I go out and live my life. But even then, sometimes life wants to hand you the shittiest of lemons in the shittiest of circumstances, and even though I could produce an interesting concoction of what would maybe qualify as lemonade, I'd rather sing my heart out first. I always feel so much better after a sesh alone, therapeutic even. At least to me it is. I can kick it to any melody, but just like my father, the blues and more especially, rock n roll is in my soul.
I find self-portraiture to be a journey of not only exploring and discovering many different characteristics in a person, but also the best way to get the creative juices flowing and hopefully for someone to get better at their work. Since I've never done a photo shoot such as one which includes my *obvious* talent for singing, I wanted to share with you my many different expressions of moods and emotions. All I can say is it was a blast!
I re-created a playlist I had going on during this self-portrait session. Though it's mostly rock n roll, I've got some alternative, post-punk and blues in there too. Check it out below!
Songs You Can Belt Out to:
- The Doors - Break On Through (To The Other Side)
- Nirvana - Come As You Are
- Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
- The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want
- The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
- Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger
- The Animals - It's My Life
- Nirvana - All Apologies
- Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing
- Pearl Jam - Better Man
- Elton John - Rocketman
- Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
- The Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers
- The Black Keys - Tighten Up
- Warren Zevon - Keep Me In Your Heart
What are some of your favorite rock n roll songs? A favorite band? Comment and share below!
Have a great day! :)
Love & xx's,
maQ + suz